July 4th, 2017
Headed to the Rio Summer Olympics? Consider A Private Jet Rental to Get You There!
Diving, gymnastics, marathon running, tennis, volleyball, and a plethora of more sports are expected to bring over 50,000 people to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil for the 31st olympic games on August 5 to 21. With less than two months to go before the Rio Summer Olympics, it’s time to start thinking about private jet charters to get you there.
With stunning coastal backdrops and natural beauty abound, Rio is an idyllic setting for the 2016 Summer Olympics. Set in four zones throughout Rio; Barra, Copacabana, Deodoro and Maracanã, the city is set to hose 306 events throughout 37 venues.
A Facebook poll of people from 17 countries found that 72% of people are excited for the games. With certain sports making a comeback and intense competition, it’s sure to be an exciting year. This year’s highlights include the return of some long lost Olympic games, and even some popular athletes.
- As the most decorated Olympian, with 22 medals, Michael Phelps returns for his last Olympic swimming tour.
- Rugby Sevens are to be played for the first time in Olympic history, while Rugby Union was last played in 1924. With 24 male and female teams competing, the matches are sure to be intense.
- While a number of golfers have backed out, citing Zika Virus concerns, Golf has made a comeback to the Olympic games after a 112-year absence.
In and Around Rio
- Copacabana & Ipanema Beaches (for both daytime and nightlife): Rio is famous for it’s parties, nightlife, and beaches. A visit to sunny Brazil would be incomplete without a sunset visit to one of their sandy beaches and a couple cocktails in their numerous beach bars.
- Party with the athletes! Undoubtedly there will be some top-notch Olympic parties at hospitality houses throughout the city and surrounding areas. Canada’s hospitality house for friends and families of athletes will be located in the Leblon area of the city.
- Christ the Redeemer: As a world-renowned attraction, and an inescapable part of the Rio skyline, Corcovado Cristo Redentor is not only a beautiful landmark, but provides great city views.
- Santa Teresa: On top of yet another hill, the neighbourhood of Santa Teresa is a walk back into the history of Brazil. With winding cobble stoned streets, the neighbourhood is a hit with artists and foodies alike to dine in cafes with views overlooking what feels like the rest of the world.
- Sugarloaf Mountain: For breathtaking, 360 degree views of Rio, a ride up Sugarloaf mountain is a must.
Where to Stay
There are numerous hotels throughout Rio that have been rated as TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice 2016 Winners, but among the frontrunners are the Hilton Barra Rio de Janeiro, Miramar Hotel by Windsor in Copacabana, and the Hotel Fasano Rio de Janeiro in nearby Ipanema. Copacabana beach will be the home of the beach volleyball arena, while Ipanema hosts the marathon swimming events.
Rated the top hotel on TripAdvisor of all hotels in Rio, the Hilton Barra is centrally located near the games in the center of town with quick beach access. With premier facilities and services, the Hilton brand continues to deliver top-notch service in Rio. For beachside access and outstanding views, both the Miramar and Fasano will not disappoint. Just book soon as rooms are going fast!
How to Buy Tickets
While the atmosphere around town will be intoxicating, if you’re heading down to the games, you’ll want to make sure that you can get in to see some events. Canadian residents can purchase tickets at CoSport, and there are ticket and hotel packages available through them as well.
Depending on the event you choose to go to, event tickets could run you anywhere from $30 to well over $2,000 for the opening ceremonies.
Zika Virus; Should you be concerned?
The virus, transported by mosquitos, can cause birth defects in unborn babies called microcephaly which is due to brain damage developed in the womb. Therefore, pregnant women are advised to take extra precautions, and it’s recommended that everyone wear mosquito repellant to prevent contracting the disease.
At least one athlete, British long jumper Greg Rutherford, has frozen his sperm leading up to the games and several pro-golfers, including World no. 1 Jason Day, are considering to opt out due to the virus and a heavily packed summer schedule.
However, Rio Officials say that Zika won’t be a big concern surrounding the Olympics because of the cooler, winter, temperatures in Brazil during August and September.
How to Get There
At Flightpath, we’ll require just a few hours notice to get your private jet rental set up and ready for you, followed by an approximate 9 hour flight to get you safely settled into Brazil.
There are five airports in Rio De Janeiro that can accept your private jet flights:
- Galeao International Airport, GIG/SBGL (6 miles)
- Santos Dumont Airport, SDU/SBRJ (5 miles)
- Afonsos Airport, SBAF (10 miles)
- Jucarepagua, SBJR (11 miles)
Our team at Flightpath is determined to make sure that your trip is organized and coordinated with both departure and arrival airports for the speediest travel times. Don’t worry about customs, check-in lineups, and uncomfortable seats. Private jet rentals are your solution to overcrowded airports and impersonal service.
Our planes are ready for you to jet off to Rio to take in some games, some sun, and some culture. If you’re considering heading to the 2016 RIO Olympics, get in touch with our team and we’ll make sure your favourite jet is reserved for you.
MORE STORIES LIKE THIS
Although this may not have been the iciest winter North Americans have experienced, it may be time to break the monotony with charter flights from Toronto to free yourself from… Read More
Diving, gymnastics, marathon running, tennis, volleyball, and a plethora of more sports are expected to bring over 50,000 people to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil for the 31st olympic games on… Read More
Private jet aircraft ownership offers unparalleled levels of flexibility, luxury and time management compared to travel by commercial means. As is the case with private jet charters, it affords the individual… Read More